Man-of-the-match Gavin McGowan produced a five-star attacking display that yielded six points from play.

Meath 1-20

Mayo 0-15

10092016RMcC1051MEATH REELED OFF eight late points without reply to claim Bord Gáis Energy All-Ireland B Hurling Championship glory in Thurles on Saturday afternoon.

The Royals made up for last year’s heart-breaking final loss to Wicklow by finally getting their hands on the Richie McGelligott Cup.

Man-of-the-match Gavin McGowan produced a five-star attacking display that yielded six points from play as Stefan Kelly scored 1-3.

In the second half, captain Jack Regan banged over five pointed frees, including three down the home straight, as Meath came on strong.

Mayo appeared to run out of gas and despite coming from four points down in the first half to draw level after half-time, the Westerners could never get ahead.

Free-taker Fergal Boland scored eight of his nine points from placed balls but twice in the final ten minutes, he missed efforts to bring the game level.

With nine minutes remaining, Jason Coyne’s point did have Mayo level at 0-15 to 1-12 but Meath ran riot from there until the full-time whistle.

At half-time, Meath were 1-7 to 0-9 ahead but it was Mayo who finished the half stronger, having trailed by four points on three occasions.

Kelly gave the winners a perfect start with a goal in the second minute, set up by Ross Ryan after the Royals worked hard to turn over Mayo deep inside their own half.

Meath went close to a second goal three minutes before the break when Kelly struck the post but Mayo were in touch and drew level after the break when Boland converted a free.

Meath went on to lead until the 51st minute and they came again with a scoring purple patch to get the job done.

Scorers for Meath: Stefan Kelly 1-3, Gavin McGowan 0-6, Jack Regan 0-5f, Ryan Moore 0-2, David Reilly, Seán McGrath, Eamon Ó Donnacha & Luke Martyn 0-1 each.

Scorers for Mayo: Fergal Boland 0-9 (8f), James Gallagher, Corey Scahill, Zak O’Toole, Sam Forde, Jason Coyne & Darragh Gallagher 0-1 each.


1. Charlie Bird (Boardsmill)

2. Conor Dempsey (Dunderry)
3. Iarla Hughes (Kiltale)
4. Liam Ferguson (Gaeil Colmcille)

5. Seán Coloe (Longwood)
6. Ronan Ryan (Kiltale)
7. David Reilly (Drumree)

15. Luke Martyn (Dunderry)
9. Seán McGrath (St Peter’s, Dunboyne)

10. Jack Regan (Kiltale)
8. Seán Quigley (St Peter’s, Dunboyne)
12. Eamon Ó Donnacha (Clann Na nGael)

11. Stefan Kelly (Killyon)
14. Ross Ryan (Kiltale)
13. Gavin McGowan (Ratoath)


17. Kevin Ryan (Kiltale) for Ó Donnacha (35′)
18. Ryan Moore (Longwood) for Ross Ryan (51′)
20. Fergal McCabe (Kiltale) for Martyn (60+3′)


1. Martin Parsons (Castlebar Mitchels)

2. Conor Murphy (Castlebar Mitchels)
3. Mark Phillips (Ballyhaunis)
4. James Lyons (Ballyhaunis)

5. David Harrison (Tooreen)
6. David Kenny (Tooreen)
7. Conor Murray (Castlebar Mitchels)

8. Seán Mulroy (Castelbar Mitchels)
9. James Gallagher (Castlebar Mitchels)

10. Fergal Boland (Tooreen)
11. Corey Scahill (Castlebar Mitchels)
12. Zak O’Toole (Westport)

13. Sam Forde (Castlebar Mitchels)
14. John Judge (Tooreen)
15. Jason Coyne (Ballyhaunis)


22. Shane Nugent (Castlebar Mitchels) for Lyons (28′)

18. Darragh Gallagher (Westport) for Judge (30′)
23. Morgan Lyons (Ballyhaunis) for Forde (50′)
17. Cyril Collins (Ballyhaunis) for Coyne (60+2′)

Referee: John Keane (Galway)

This article appeared first on